About Anne Riggs
A Little About Myself
I have been married for over 35 years and have three grown-up children. My eldest daughter is a primary school teacher and my youngest a doctor. My son works for a housing association whilst my husband operates his own painting and decorating business in Plymouth. We have a ten year old Springer Spaniel who is calm and friendly around children.
I became fully registered as a childminder in 1989, when my youngest child was still a baby, after working my way up to becoming a nursery childcare supervisor at my children's pre-school. In the years that have passed I have cared for over 40 children, ranging in age from 12 weeks, up to 13 years and including some children with special and complex needs.
I assist at my local Girl Guiding group in my spare time, something which I have done for over twenty years. When my children were younger I also helped out at their Red Cross youth group.
Qualifications & Training
I have an NVQ 3 in Childcare and Education, and a Certificate in Early Years Practice level 4. I regularly attend courses which enable me to keep my skills and knowledge current.
Some relevant childcare courses that I have attended are:
- Business Foundation course
- Safeguarding (Child Protection) training
- Special Needs training
- First Aid training
- Promoting Positive Behaviour course
- Observing, Supporting and Planning for 4 Year Olds course
- IT for Play Workers course
- Baby Signing course
- Food Safety course
- Health and Safety training
- Signs Promoting Speech course
- Blast (Speech and Language for over 3s)
- Early Years Autism Awareness training
- Equal Opportunities training
- Communicating Matters course
- Early Years Foundation Stage training
- Elklan (Let's Talk with Under 5s)
- Children Thinking Mathematically course
- Letters and Sounds course